I had a crazy Fat Tuesday, but not really in a good sense. So, as I was hopping into bed and looking through Facebook as I often do, before I turn off the lights, I noticed several people posting about Lent. Shoot, I had not thought about how I was going to actively participate in Lent this year, at all. Part of me questions whether I should write this post or not, as I look at the Scripture for today. I guess in my mind as I read the Gospel, I think Jesus is speaking to us about intent and what is in our hearts. I have no idea what God and Jesus would even think about the Internet or blogging. They might see some of it and be very disappointing, but maybe they see part of it and think "There are My Lights, shining in the darkness." I don't know, I do not pretend to think I even know God, half as well, as I think I do somedays.
| This is one of my favorite crucifixes, if there is such a thing. I bought it while traveling in Ireland and it is made from peat moss, which comes from a bog. |
My intent with this post is two-fold. One, is accountability for myself. I feel that when I write things down and make goals public, I have a much better chance of succeeding in accomplishing them. Two, is support and community. The world can feel very dark at times and maybe you are reading this and you haven't thought about Lenten promises since you were in grade school. Or you forgot today is Ash Wednesday, or you are wondering "Why do I see so many people with dirt on their foreheads today?" Then my hope is you read this and it jogs something in your spirit to assist you in your spiritual journey.
What is Lent all about? Well Catholic Daily, one of my liked Facebook pages, gives this description: "Journeying through the “desert” of fasting, prayer, and almsgiving as we travel toward the celebration of Jesus’ resurrection at Easter." So most people try to choose to do an active act, toward each of these areas, throughout Lent. Here are mine:
Fasting
For me, this year, I have a situation in my life, where I could throw in the towel. In fact some days, I REALLY want to throw in the towel. However, I have decided that I will 'give up' throwing in the towel for Lent. I will keep these towels in my life, willingly, for the next 40 days and 40 nights.
| Here are my dirty towels, waiting for the laundry. |
Prayer
I will pray the Rosary, every day in Lent. Whew, Every Day?! This one will be tough, but I really want to get into the habit and better learn the Rosary. I also know that when I have put the Rosary more frequently in my life, in the past, I really benefit from the peace it brings me. Plus, much to my parent's chagrin, when reading this, I don't feel like I know the Rosary well enough. Not off the top of my head, like I would like to, or feel that I should, for 12 years of Catholic education and many road trips where we prayed it together in the car. Sorry Mom and Dad :-)
Almsgiving
To work on improving myself and the world I live in, I will contribute a $1 to charity, every time I speak or act on a mean/disparaging thought towards another person. This one is going to be pretty tough for me as well. Sometimes, if I'm truthful, I enjoy being mean to others, it does something for me, makes me feel better or smarter about myself......temporarily, but then it fades and as these 'mean times' add up, I'm left feeling worse and my outlook of the world changes. I haven't decided on the charity yet, but I do have a few good ones in mind.
So this is the beginning of my Lenten journey for 2014. Where do you find yourself this Lenten season? Might you participate this year in a way that you haven't before? I would love to hear from you, so feel free to share how you are considering to participate in Lent below!
No comments:
Post a Comment