I believe this line sums up nicely, how I started the year: "Three themes will hopefully focus me on my journey to be the best Sara Crawford I can be this year; moderation, respectful honesty, and personal responsibility"
Moderation
This has definitely been a hard one for me so far. I am attempting to be a recovering perfectionist and I think moderation is nearly the antithesis of perfection. I tend to, like many people, want to go to extremes. If something is not 'good' for me, well, I'll just abstain from it completely. Or I'll exercise until exhaustion, because exercise is 'good' for me. Moderation, for me, also means taking life more slowly, or accepting life as it happens. One of the things I love about being a stay at home mom is the opportunity to set the pace for the day, for Evan and I. Slowing down and just being with him, sitting and watching him learn and play is one of the most rewarding times of my day and life right now. If I could only remember get out of his way more often and just let him be. I also need to try get out of my own way, if this moderation thing is going to take root in my life.
Respectful Honesty
This one continues to be troubling to me. Not in the sense that I am not working hard to make it part of who I am, but in the way it is received by others. I feel, we really have become a people and society that is unable to respectfully disagree with one another, without disparaging another person. It troubles me, that I can't hold a different view then someone else, without having some serious judgement come my way. I do feel that there are certain values and moral tenets that we must hold to firmly, in regards to interacting with others. Yet, respectful discourse and being honest and true to yourself seem to be just as integral. I continue to be impressed by the people in my life where this characteristic is valued and appreciated.
Personal Responsibility
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, I've got this one down pretty good. As I knew in January, "Where I spend my time will demonstrate what my priorities are to the world"
Some things have changed in my world, but these are still my hopes for 2014. I hold firm to the idea that a more fulfilling and calm life lie ahead. And by digging in my more recent past (January 2014), I think I will be able to enjoy my current days even more. I am blessed to have so many wonderful people to spend my life with.
Do you have your resolutions from January lying around somewhere? Maybe it's time to dust those off, or at least perform a little tune up for yourself. I know that this year I don't think I'll have the same dread I have had in the past, of another year gone by and feeling like I have nothing to show for it. Nope, this year, by focusing on me, I don't think I'll feel that way at all.
That is all.
Sara
| My little movie star! |
No comments:
Post a Comment