This Christmas, after becoming a Mom, I definitely had a different perspective and increased wonderment at the story of the Holy Family and the birth of Jesus. I could think back to the birth of Evan, with all of our modern conveniences, and I was full of so many emotions. I can only begin to try to understand Mary's thoughts and feelings. What an awesome example she is of true faith!
We traveled down to Indpls on Monday night, with Uncle Steve in tow, for our Christmas holiday. Luckily, Eric's current work situation is so much better than it used to be and he has the flexibility to work remotely and have a few days off. We stayed with my parents for the week and it was lovely to be around family.
Christmas Eve found us at the very packed, 5 p.m. mass, at Christ the King. Dad and Steve stood firm, as they held some seats for the rest of the family, as we arrived. It was standing room only, when Mom, Evan, Eric and I arrived at 4:40 p.m. Then we headed off to the Lanham's for a Christmas Eve feast and some present sharing with them. Evan was a trooper, a bit fussy in Mass, but the pews were full and it was getting hot in there, so I could relate. He was able to eat some dinner and then lie down for a bit in the Lanham's office, in their pack n' play, while the rest of us enjoyed some gifts.
 |
| Evan and I, 1st Christmas! |
 |
| You know it takes a few shots to get one... |
 |
And no, there will not be one where we are both looking the same way and smiling at the same time, but that's okay. |
 |
| Cruising in my shirt and tie. |
 |
| Hmm, what's this?? |
 |
| What? Who me?! |
 |
| Surprise! |
 |
Daddy and I, looking handsome. Thanks Grandma Lynne for my fun Santa bib!
|
Christmas morning we all slept in, even Evan! We were up around 8 a.m., which is an incredible feat. We had some last minute wrapping to take care of and Santa needed to fill the stockings. In my family's tradition, opening presents is a bit of a slower process, but nice and relaxing. We have a fun tradition of opening one gift at a time, starting with the oldest person, down to the youngest. I really enjoy doing it this way, as it allows both the gift giver and receiver an opportunity to relish in the gift. This was the tradition from the Wantuck side of the family. Evan was able to open a few gifts, before he needed to lie down for his morning nap. We then enjoyed a nice meal prepared by my Mom and brother. My Aunt Debbie and Uncle Chris joined us for a few hours of visiting in the afternoon. Then we got active in the evening with a bit of family Wii-ing. We had taken last Christmas off from this tradition, my pregnancy probably being the main reason, but it is a lot of fun. Four controllers, means a lot of family competition.
 |
| Hmm, what is this round thing? |
 |
| Wait, is anyone looking? |
 |
| I'll take a bite out of it and see what it is...hard and stone like.... |
 |
Thanks Grandma Lynne for my fun Christmas Day outfit and booties! |
 |
My first Christmas dinner, using a plate my Mommy used when she was growing up! |
Overall it was a very relaxing and leisurely Christmas Day and I was so happy to start some treasured family traditions with our son. I went to bed that evening feeling so very blessed. I hope I can keep a bit of that feeling alive throughout the coming year!
No comments:
Post a Comment