There is a cheesy, but great line, in a kind-of-cheesy movie, The Wedding Date. It's something like, "Every woman has the exact love life, that she wants to have". Do I tell you this, so you will run out to rent this soon to be, awesome, classic movie?? No, no. This line, for whatever reason, has stuck with me, not in regards to my love life, but regarding life in general. And it came to me again, as I started thinking about the new year of 2014.
One aspect of who I am, is to be my best self; a person who is on a continual quest. Which is a process that I do not think will cease, until I leave this planet. I'm not exactly sure where this is rooted. I do think that my Catholic upbringing and education has something to do with it, as retreats and reflection were ideas from that period in my life that have stuck with me. That period, being grades 1-12 and 17&18. I think in my post-MBA graduation life, I've wandered from this tenet, and I've realized that's been a mistake. I've decided there is no time like the present, to get back to it.
Three themes will hopefully focus me on my journey to be the best Sara Crawford I can be this year; moderation, respectful honesty, personal responsibility. It's hard to know which one to start with, as I think they are all interrelated.
Moderation
I'm starting to say, "No". Not in a mean, harsh, or judgmental way, but in the most respectful way that I can. If my movie quote line is correct, then I have the exact life that I want to have. If I have no time to do the things I want to do, to pursue the goals I want to pursue, then it is most likely because I'm putting some other priorities above those. I'm spending my time, my thoughts and my resources in ways that are not in line with what I value, or what I say I value. So I'm bringing in some moderation and I hope I can continue it for years to come. If I'm tired, I'll sleep (instead of watch T.V., troll the internet, get stuck on facebook). If I don't want to go out, I won't (and I won't be fearful of what you might think of me for not being "popular" or having an "exciting" weekend). I'm going to stop buying stuff, for stuff's sake. Does anyone else dread the thought of moving, because you have so much stuff? Papers and boxes and closets full of things. I think for me, these 'things' just tend to hold me back from having a more calm and peaceful life.
Respectful Honesty
This one has been the hardest, thus far, and the one that is not received so well by others and loved ones in my life. Have you noticed how we do a lot of assuming these days? We assume other people, people who are dear to us, think and feel the same way as we do. We assume that we "know" that person who cut us in line, is out to get us. I think sometimes it can be easier to assume we know about other people, instead of actually taking the time to get to know someone. I think this can be even most true, for the people we love the most. So, I've started asking questions and that has ruffled some feathers. Sometimes, I think people feel I'm mocking them by asking a basic question, or that I'm trying to insight a riot. I'm not, I promise. I'm working on trying to ask the people in my life to explain something to me, when I don't understand. I think it will help me grow, as well as help our relationship grow. Our society today claims to be so tolerant of others, but are we really. It makes us vulnerable to have to actually explain why we think something or believe something, but wouldn't life be a bit better if we could just leave it at that. You tell me what you think, I tell you what I think and if we don't agree, as long as we are still being respectful of each other, I think we've just made a giant step for mankind. Sometimes one side will win and sometimes the other side will win, and that will be the ebb and flow of how life goes.
Personal Responsibility
Or OWN IT. This one has been gnawing at me, for awhile. It links very closely with my thoughts for Moderation. It's time to stop making excuses. It's not about being a harsh judge and dictator of myself, but it's about being real. If I'm feeling undisciplined and I eat a whole bag of M&M's (no not the individual serving size, but the kind that is for 9 people to share) in one day, then hey, I did it. I shouldn't have and I know it's not good for body, but I did and luckily since I'm still nursing Evan and have started running again, I haven't gained a gazillion pounds. But I ate them and that's for real. If I want to travel and spend more time with people I care about, then I've got to do that, not talk about how important it is and not do anything about it. Where I spend my time will demonstrate what my priorities are to the world.
These are my hopes for 2014. By working on these three things, I hope to have a more fulfilling and calm life. I hope to truly enjoy my days and the people who I am so blessed to spend them with.
Does anyone have anything they are working on for this year? Feel free to share :-)
My inspiration to be the best that I can be! We had a great family photo shoot for Evan's 1st Birthday with Alyssa from http://www.candidclicker.com
![]() |
| Go Irish! |







No comments:
Post a Comment